Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Blog #8- Establishing merit and criteria for evaluations


Blackberry


1.     For my critical review I chose to evaluate a product.  I am evaluating the blackberry device/software.  It merits evaluation because it was a big phenomenon throughout my school, and the popularity remains on the Penn State community. The advanced technology of blackberry made it revolutionary, which also grants it merit.  With built in applications, and a soft-ware that appeals to both young adults and businessmen alike.  Also, new models of the device, as well as new software updates are coming out constantly which keep the product new.  However, I, and many other blackberry owners, are unhappy with he product as it constantly seems to freeze and have issues. Therefore, blackberries could also be classified as controversial.  For these reasons, blackberry gains merit for evaluation. 
2.     The category that this product falls in is a cell-phone device.  It is functional and valuable.  It is not cheap and it is even more expensive due to the media/network plans that are required to have with a phone.  I will compare it to an iPhone, because it is another big contender as a phone, and it is the top competitor in my opinion to a blackberry.  A droid is also another option for comparison.  Almost everyone I know that has had a blackberry now has an iPhone and has so many less issues.   I personally want to make the switch from blackberry to iPhone.
3.     Criteria:
a.     Is the messaging software good?  Bbm- Blackberry messenger is an application that seems interesting, yet it has issues.  Owners of this device can chat in an exclusive way by sharing one another’s pins.  However, many users don’t even use this application because its only slightly different than texting.  So many blackberry users have changed their phones too, leaving you with no bbm contacts.  People often times steal one another’s phones and send broadcast messages- which means they are sent to all contacts- and they are unnecessary and stupid.  Other times, they are fake warnings about the system shutting down or something.  Then everyone gets afraid and the warning message goes viral through blackberries.  Another issue with bbm is how it freezes easily due to the slow server. 
b.     Can it be used easily?  Frozen, overload of applications- I constantly have issues with my blackberry freezing. When locking my phone I used to have a password.  There were so many times I couldn’t even get into my phone without having to take the battery out and reload my phone.  Turning the phone on and off takes forever and I constantly have to do it.  Other times, my phone just freezes while I’m in the middle of doing something and it is extremely frustrating.
c.      Is it durable?  Easily broken- This past summer, my phone broke extremely easily.  It fell off a shelf and shattered, and then it didn’t turn back on.  I lost all of my contacts and had to get a new phone.  Another friend of mine who owns a blackberry had hers break because she walked with it in the rain.  The rain completely caused it to stop raining.  It seems like those who own blackberries have more than one because they are always having issues.
d.     Does it have extra applications that make it more worth the value?  Applications- The Blackberry has horoscope applications, music applications, and other random applications for our enjoyment, but they do not match well with the iPhone’s.  The iPhone now has more advanced technology and applications, allowing us to video call people from our phone or print something wirelessly from the phone.  These applications are compatible with those of a mac or an ipod, which also make them more useful in daily activities.  Blackberry applications do not have much use and they often times cost money.
e.     How does the appearance add to the phone?  Small screen- with all of the things to look at while using the phone internet, it is really difficult to accomplish these things on a small screen.  Blackberry users constantly have to scroll and zoom in order to see they’re entire message or page they are looking at.  

No comments:

Post a Comment