Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blog #7- Blog Design

I would describe my original blog design as serene and peaceful.  This is the type of mood i like to give off when i write.  The blog is a great way to express our writing in a public journal, so it is important that the tone is set in a comfortable way for both me and my audience.  However, I don't think this is an ideal design for a blog.  When making it, i was exploring blogger for the first time and wanted a feminine, somewhat plain design.  I think though, that the font is a bit too light, which makes it difficult to read, and my design should stand-out more, yet stay professional and appeal to both genders.  The font has also changed throughout my blog entries which has angered me a bit and ruins the organizational flow.  It is definitely appropriate for a college student and a college class, but it does not define me.  As a writer, I see myself as a creative, emotional, and detailed story-teller.  Therefore, my design should be fun and unique to reflect who I am as a writer.   Currently, it accomplishes the purpose of adding “a bit of Morgan” to each story, along with setting a peaceful tone to the readers of each blog entry.  The purpose of my blog is to express myself within the assignments English 15 instructs us to do.  I express literary knowledge, insight, and opinions on each blog.  All of those elements are a huge component of who I am as a writer.  I love to write and I plan on improving my blog design to make it appeal to both my audience and me more than it currently does. 



I was a nerd in middle school.  I was known as a “xanga queen”.  That is another blogging website, and I was a queen because not only did I blog frequently, but I also made layouts.  I have always had a keen eye for design, but at the same time I do not consider myself to be an artistic person.  Nonetheless, I somehow knew how to use the html to design my own “layout.”  On this website I had no idea how to do that, so I just used a template and designed it with my favorite type of style: vintage/floral.  Inspired by Lily Pulitzer and her website along with the freepeople website.  Both websites are inviting in their own way, and as retail stores, they display their taste from the minute the page loads. Both of the websites have warm colors and a girly look, and I did the same thing with my redesigned page.  I was inspired by those two websites and my own personal style, to use a simple and floral layout with darker colors highlighting the important text.  This way, everything seems more organized and easier to read.  The changes I made will help others read it in a more organized way, and the website as a whole will be more inviting to its audience.  By going on my blog, “Diary of a Penn Stater” you can learn about me just based on the appearance.  Showing who I am before anyone gets to read I think will prove that I’m letting people into my world in a way.  My English 15 blog will be enhanced because it will seem like more of a public diary than a blog.  Hopefully people will enjoy reading what I have to share more now because of my new design. 


(before redesign)


No comments:

Post a Comment